European Championships Race Report
Zagreb welcomed us as always with warm temperatures, clean water and friendly staff, too bad the combination of heat and clean water makes the weed in the course a big challenge for both paddlers and organizers.
In a race against time we fixed over 100 rudders, trying to avoid the drama of seeing a race result bring conditioned by weed.
In the end it turned out to be fair, but the ghost of the weed was there at all times.
Performance wise it is hard to make big judgments or predictions but as always we would mention some performances:
1. Max Hoff did it again, a full Olympic cycle winning the EC 4 straight golds! Amazing! Also impressive Rene Poulsen coming in a strong second, and the spanish 20 year old Cubelos, getting his first medal at the senior racing just one day after he got his spot for London confirmed.
2. Marko from Serbia also found out he got his Olympic spot just some days ago, and he celebrated in the best possible way by winning his first major title in front of Max Beaumont and Ed Mckeever.
3. Natasa Janic Douchev came back strong as ever to win the K1 200 and to back that up with a win in the K2 500 with Katalin Kovacs in what is their attempt for a 3rd straight gold in the K2 500 in OG.
4. Jon and Liam from GB took their 3rd consecutive European title in the K2 200 meaning every year since it became an Olympic event, 2nd Germany Rauhe/Ems taking their first big medal in the K2.
5. Dombi/Kokeny put up a great performance to take gold in the K2 1000, after being 3rd last year they stepped up their game leading into London.
6. K4 1000 - Denmark after a good set of races in the past, nailed a perfect run to win the EC, beating Romania and Serbia in the last section of the race.
7. Best stats ever in a EC with 8 gold medals and 26 medals in total from 36 possible in Olympic distances.
8. Over 150 boats served and prepared.
Now time to prepare the Olympic operation, but still time for the Jun and U23 in Montemor Portugal.